JACOBSON NATIVE ART GALLERY

JACOBSON NATIVE ART GALLERY
The home and creator of “Woodland A.I.” A new form of indigenous art. 4 Chiefs of the future by Mark Anthony Jacobson 2024

Monday, March 1, 2021

Being a 60’s scoop survivor @ Jacobson native art


 My dealings with Canada as a First Nations soul has been absolutely tragic and heartbreaking on many levels. The hijacking of our land, the continual theft of our natural resources, colonial and cultural genocide, residential schools, stealing our children, the violence, the forceful control of being on reserves, the racism, the discrimination, the prejudice and violations of our human rights for 500 plus years now is absolutely disgusting. 

The truth is and continues to be that Canada was and is built on racism. It’s sickening. The perverse colonial mind set continues to roll on through in this, the 21st century. It’s sad and absolutely appalling on all levels with regard to being a human being. The destruction of our cultural practices, trying to wipe out our languages, stealing our cultural artifacts, dishonouring the treaties, wiping out and outlawing ceremonies,...the list goes on and on and on. 

And even under this darkness that colonialism is, we as First Nations continue to thrive and live. We continue to find our ways, we continue to heal and rise. And even in that, we First Nations continue to be welcoming and forgiving. We continue to share our love for not only the sacredness of the earth, but each other. 

What makes us even more powerful is that through the abuse and torture of colonialism we are forced to learn your ways, as settlers. Your languages, your history, your mathematics, your religion, your laws and your education. And on that we must rediscover who we are as indigenous, as First Nations, as Anishanabe. We literally have to live in 2 worlds. That of this perverse colonial system and that of our own history, our own teachings, native laws, cultural history, stories, songs, ceremonies and the arts. We literally have to learn how to think and live like an Indian in a white mans world. Even in that, what have you truly learned of us? 

That is what being a 60’s scoop survivor means to me. Through these lessons and experiences that I have gone through I have found the secret path. I have learned to free myself through these experiences. I learned that I did not have to identify with my abuser, in being a Canadian. I could be an Indian, an Anishanabe soul, entitled to my sovereignty as First Nations. That I could find my own way, my own beingness. 

I shared a post recently in this regard. I have a lot of support on social media. I am grateful for the connections and relationships that I’ve built and have over the years with those who fully support us and desire to work with us and not against us. Here is a sample of that post:



 I am very thankful that my teachings and experiences can have a powerful impact on the lives of others. That’s what sharing from the heart is all about. Something I’ve certainly discovered that the average Canadian settler/immigrant struggles to do with us as First Nations. It all comes down to perspective. My activism is and will always be about speaking truth to power. All my relations...MAJ