JACOBSON NATIVE ART GALLERY

JACOBSON NATIVE ART GALLERY
The home and creator of “Woodland A.I.” A new form of indigenous art. 4 Chiefs of the future by Mark Anthony Jacobson 2024

Saturday, February 5, 2022

Exposing the truth around the Norval Morrisseau estate part 1: Gabe Vadas and the children

Pictured here: Gabe Vadas at my studio in Vancouver BC

 It’s amazing how things work in life and I’ll always be grateful for the truth because it guides me daily through this crazy world we all live in. It’s quite disappointing how the Norval Morrisseau estate try’s to paint people and how they have been absolutely guilty of gross negligence in protecting our culture as First Nations and Canadians alike. So I feel it’s important to get the facts out so that it is absolutely fuckin crystal clear about how the Norval Morrisseau estate sees me and my knowledge of this art fraud investigation. 

This email was sent to the RCMP back in 2010 regarding my expertise in Norval Morrisseau art. It should be clear that obviously my knowledge and expertise has significantly grown since then but I want it completely understood for the sake of history around this and as Norval would so often say, For the record:


Excerpt from the estate of Norval Morrisseau email to the RCMP: 


This should help to clear up the air because I find it completely disrespectful when I hear asswipes like Gabe Vadas talking smack about me. You know, I hate to say it but I was warned about Gabe Vadas being a snake time and time again and sure enough the reality is that he has proven himself to be untrustworthy. So, now it’s time to share some things I learned of the so-called head of the Norval Morrisseau estate. 

Pictured above: collage of fakes. 

Let’s get into the details of my discovery around this investigation. 

#1: The reality in 2022 is that the estate of Norval Morrisseau including the children is fraught with alcoholism and addiction issues. There are serious concerns of mental health and stability for many of Norval Morrisseau’s children including his so-called adopted son in Gabe Vadas. With the many photos found on line with smoking crack, drinking, partying, posing with numerous fake paintings attributed to dear old dad, there is tons of evidence of this reality and it makes for a super unstable energy concerning the reliability of the estate.

#2: Once again here in 2022 concerning these fake black drybrush Morrisseau’s the questions surrounding these statements by the estate of Norval Morrisseau have not been addressed. Here’s the position of Morrisseau’s children and family: (current estate of Morrisseau)

Time to Re-build the Legacy

For too long we have stayed silent as our father's legacy has been diminished by those with personal agendas.

The internet is overwhelming with opinions on the work of Norval Morrisseau, some are well presented, others obviously biased and at least one that hides behind "anonymous', making personal attacks that have little to do with the issue, and simply reveals the character of the person behind it.

We have come to realize that we have a responsibility to our father, and to the many collectors that have acquired in good faith, works by Norval Morrisseau.

Like everyone we have our opinions, however we are able to give you facts, simple undeniable facts that go to the heart of the issue.
Quite simply, you, the public are being lied to.

On August 28/ 2008, after Norval Morrisseau passed away, it was indicated by Kinsman Robinson on their blog that Norval Morrisseau never signed the back of his paintings using black acrylic paint.


This is a lie.

Our statements are facts, we were there.

Although Norval spent long periods of time away from his family, we have years of experience in watching our father paint and sign his paintings.

My name is Victoria Kakegamic.  I am the eldest of Norval's children.  I watched my father paint many, many times.  I've seen him sign the back of his paintings with black paint, often using his finger to do so.

My name is Pierre Morrisseau.  I am the third eldest of Norval's children.  One time, as I watched my father paint, he looked for a pencil to sign the back of his painting but could not find one.  I told him to use his pinky finger, and he did.  I did see him use his finger and black paint to sign the back of his paintings.

My name is David Morrisseau.  I am the eldest son of Norval and I am a painter myself.  I was inspired and taught by my father.  I spent summers in Winnipeg with my father watching and learning.  During the times I was with my father I watched him sign the back of his paintings with pen, pencil, markers, but mostly with black acrylic paint.

My Name is Christian Morrisseau, son of Norval Morrisseau and like my brother David, I am a painter.  My father showed me the techniques required in 2001 when he was with his family in Thunderbay.  I also witnessed my father sign the back of his paintings with whatever was at hand.  Most often it was with black acrylic paint.


My name is Wilfred (Wolf) Morrisseau.  From 1975 until the late 1980's I lived for extensive periods with my brother Norval.  I was his caregiver, his manager, his helper, whatever was required at the time.  I have seen my brother paint hundreds if not thousands of images.  Like other family members I saw Norval sign the back with a variety of instruments, but mostly with black acrylic paint.  Rarely, due to having so many paintings in progress, the odd piece may not get signed.  The dates and titles were also important to my brother.  Jack Pollack, his first representative had strongly suggested that he sign and title the back for future references.

The last statement is by Marlowe Goring, a gallery operator.  Although not a member of the family his direct knowledge of Norval's signatures is important.


My name is Marlowe Goring. I first met Norval in 1982, when as owner of the "U Frame It' store in Ottawa I framed 20 of Norval's original canvases for Robertson Art Galleries.  Once I had stretched the canvases Norval came to the store and I held the canvases while he signed, titled, and dated the back using black acrylic paint.  Should you wish further clarification you can reach me at Qualicum Frameworks Gallery, 673 Fir St., Qualicum Beach, B.C. V9K 1T2.  250-752-7350 qualicumframeworks@shawcable.comThis e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .

Others are also prepared to make similar comments, however we stand by our statements as simple truths from having being there.
Realize that those telling you this lie, did not know Norval in the 70's and 80's.  Kinsman Robinson became his representative in 1990, after the bulk of his best work was done.  Should you have a Norval Morrisseau painting without a signature there are several reputable galleries that can authenticate it for you.

Should you have a Norval Morrisseau painting signed on the back, the same applies, however it is reassuring to note that some 15-20 paintings, signed on the back with acrylic black paint have been examined by Canada's leading forensic examiners, and all were concluded to be signed by Norval Morrisseau.

We apologize for the delay in speaking out, and we hope the truth will allow you to have confidence in our fathers paintings.  After all there has never been a proven fake.

The only case of an alleged fake being challenged in court resulted in Gabe Vadas being unable to prove the painting fake and paying the plaintiff $10,000 plus costs.

The painting was signed on the back in black acrylic paint.

#3: When will the estate of Norval Morrisseau publicly call out and address Kinsmen Robinson galleries for their involvement in selling dozens and dozens of another wave of fake Morrisseau’s? Like the example in the image below:

I know for a fact that the suspect of those fakes has been contacted by me personally, twice. I know that Kinsmen Robinson galleries know that these paintings are fake. The style on the right is what I’m talking about. It should also be noted that the Thunder Bay police and the OPP who are leading this investigation have been made aware of this crime. What is going on with that? These fakes are just as much of a lie about my culture as are the black drybrush. There better be justice for that or otherwise this is not a complete investigation for one. And no one can surely claim that all will be swept up Into one pile of shit as one of you have claimed. 
Without that, you speak too soon about what you think you may know. Kinsmen Robinson gallery along with the former maslak McLeod gallery should be held accountable and responsible for those cultural crimes. In that regard they are no different than Gary Lamont. Exploiting anything and anyone at the cost of a dollar. It’s fuckin gross. 
Pictured here: Collage of various 3rd,4th, 5th and 6th wave of fakes and their forgers.

So, in response to getting their facts straight about a clean sweep regarding the size and scope of this Norval Morrisseau art fraud investigation? 
We’ll see. 
I’ll be watching and waiting for all the exact details to come out. More will be revealed. They’ve told me I’m going to be pleasantly surprised. Again, we’ll see. The one thing I’ve learned more than anything else about this whole thing is that at the end of the day, it’s all about the money. Who’s getting paid. You can bet your green apples that through my Initial efforts with Dallas, we have employed hundreds of people. 
This includes being the main catalysts for righting the ship of authenticity and helping to protect the financial interests of the estate, all galleries worldwide and all police officers and lawyers, judges, who have touched this file.

All my relations from Dallas Thompson and Mark Anthony Jacobson