JACOBSON NATIVE ART GALLERY

JACOBSON NATIVE ART GALLERY
The home and creator of “Woodland A.I.” A new form of indigenous art. 4 Chiefs of the future by Mark Anthony Jacobson 2024

Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Our heart and soul is beginning to heal now around the trauma of recovering our residential school children...

 

It sure has been a very challenging and difficult journey over these last 14 months going through this deep and dark trauma of discovering all these murdered children across our stolen lands...known as colonial Canada. Many of these children are still yet to be discovered. This has been a challenging time processing all of this. I feel as though I am beginning to come to terms with this horrific reality. The emotional scaring has been so difficult to examine and feel. In honour of these beautiful children I had to go through it to truly understand my relationship to this. What it means to me as an Anishanabe, a 60’s scoop survivor, a direct descendent of the horror of residential schools.  


In the second photo above is a ceremonial letting go and turning my back on anything and everything, Christian. I took all of these items and references out of my home 5 years ago, said a prayer to the CREATOR and dropped down a tobacco offering. It was done as part of my spiritual journey to decolonize. This act symbolizes my cutting these ties permanently and completely surrendering to my Indianess, my sovereignty as an Anishanabe soul here on our land, my land. I’ve also made the commitment 5 years ago as well to never step inside a church ever again. Never. I’m absolutely and 100% done. The roots must be completely severed from the abuser in order to completely surrender to the healing and move on. That is my experience. 


And so it is and so it will be, focusing on the new path forward. Believing in the future of my people, our healing and wellness being the seat of the soul so to speak. Trying to be an example of the power rather than a power of example. Creator spirit is this light I am speaking to. Although this year has been a really challenging one for so many effected by these tragedies we will continue to heal and find new and meaningful ways to come together and work as a family should, the human family. We all can benefit from learning how to be more loving towards one another. In honour of the souls of these children I will continue to try and be a better me each and every day. Sending love and healing to everyone who needs it...all my relations, MAJ