JACOBSON NATIVE ART GALLERY

JACOBSON NATIVE ART GALLERY
The home and creator of “Woodland A.I.” A new form of indigenous art. 4 Chiefs of the future by Mark Anthony Jacobson 2024

Sunday, October 25, 2020

What people are saying about Mark Anthony Jacobson native art


Good afternoon friends. Here’s to wishing you all a beautiful day while we experience our first snow and a serious cold snap for October in 2020 deep in the Kootenay mountains. I wanted to designate this post on the new website to what some of my art collectors and admirers are saying about my art works and their personal experiences. 

The above painting was done over 20 years ago. I created this piece in the year 2000 while living in Toronto, Ontario. I recently got a call from the president of the Canadian race relations foundation in Toronto last week. He called to let me know that he is the new president and that this original painting hangs in his new office. 

We hit it off immediately and had a well rounded discussion on matters effecting the cultural fabric of this country. We both agreed that much needs to be done about race relations in Canada and that systemic racism is a serious problem that needs much healing. Generations of colonialism has not only effected us First Nations, but the average Canadian citizen seems to be suffering just as much. There is so much room for growth and potential with regard to these matters. All in time I suppose and I look forward to being a part of the solution rather than the continuing problem. 

I wanted to share what others have had to say about my works as well so here is a list of these comments and I feel such love and appreciation from these magical souls themselves. I consider it a privilege to be able to touch people through my art. It is one of many factors that inspire me to do what I do. So with that, here are some of these experiences to share:


Peter Bolle: From the first time I encounter woodlands art on a business trip to Vancouver, I have wanted to own a piece of my own.  A few years back Mark posted a pair of totems for sale and I simply had to have them. When they arrived I was in awe of their beauty and vivid colors.  Had them framed and hung them over the fireplace.

I loved them So much I had a peice commissioned of two loons and their young, on a lake in the evening with the moon shining above.

Loons for me strike a special core in my soul, their calls draw your ear skyward in hopes of hearing it again.  I look at this piece of woodlands art and can hear the loons call in the night.Thank you Mark for putting my thoughts to the canvas I admire them each night before I head to bed.

Mohammed Hashim - president of the Canadian race relations foundation:

Your work grounded me. It reminded me of our interconnectedness but also of our interdependency. It reminded me, for whom we gather and the spirit in which we must move forward. 

I’m truly honoured to have your painting in my office. I was on a video call with all the CEOs of all the national museums in Canada and pointed your painting out, told them about you and your son and how you asked us all to walk together in peace. 

We might be ‘Split Spirits’ but we from one Creator.

Mandy W:

When I first saw  Mark Anthony Jacobson's art hanging in a shop it really leaped off the wall at me.  The lines are so traditional but the colours are so modern and exciting.  It's like they give the old narrative a fresh tongue, commanding attention.  Old stories and ideas are again relevant when an artist can draw people in, in a really beautiful way.  I love the successful marriage between the beauty and the deep thoughtfulness in his work.

Krysalis bliss from Facebook:


Mark, YOU are a precious gift. My very first experience was when I watched “There are No Fakes”, the documentary of an Indigenous legacy artist your friend, Norval Morriseau. I remember pausing the movie and then writing your name down and googling it. Your art hit smack the center of my soul. I had to know more! I then found you right here on FB. I felt your intregrity on the spot with all the tireless efforts you sent forth with that incredible documentary. Thank you for that!! An immediate soul brother connection indeed. Everytime i hear the word Indigenous my heart leaps and sings! 

Your colour composition is off the hook. The layers of ancient tribal spirits pushing thru the paint on your canvas, begging for a voice, honoured that you embodied their soul. Your style is so clean and the flow is endless. I could spend all day drowning in your paintings and every time feeling ever SO complete and whole with my Native roots. My ancestors echoing out thru your work. You my beautiful friend, i am so incredibly grateful that Spirit showed me the way to finally connect with your energy and light. You are the most kindest Being always walking in grace. You inspire me to go deeper with my own work, you always have something to share with my art that quite honestly motivates me to keep at it, layer after layer.  Bless bless you Mark, we are all so touched by your love, your warm spirit, your guidance, strength, and your truly one of a kind healing art. Love and Blessings bestowed upon you and all your relations, Krysalis Bliss 

Marlene Collins:

Tapwe 

This is a Cree word meaning TRUTH, Mark Anthony Jacobson is a true artist his images, his dedication and his use of spirit animals, bold beautiful colours makes me think of being in a magical place where everything and everyone understands each other,everyone at peace and we actually see why as indigenous people we are guardians of this small planet we call home.
I wish you nothing but success, great adventures and tons of happiness, sending positive thoughts, energy and love  my friend.

A special thank you to each of you and I’m honoured and grateful. May the sun continue to shine its light in your life and onto your loved ones. With love and respect...all my relations, MAJ